Flutter is an open source UI software development kit. Created by Google, it is used for building beautiful, natively compiled, multi platform applications from a single code base. Thus it develops cross platform applications for android, windows, iOS, Linux, Google Fuschia, and macOS.
Though it was first described in the year 2015, it was finally released in May 2017. Since then it has been successfully used to develop over 100000 apps till now.
No. Flutter is not a programming language.
It is a software development kit (SDK) with prewritten code. This code consists of ready to use, customisable widgets, plus libraries, tools and documentation that together work to build cross platform apps.
“Dart” is the Flutters language for cross platform development, also developed by the Flutter creator Google. Flutter also uses various different languages for their advanced features. Its plug-ins help Flutter to interact with other programming languages like Python, Java, Ruby, Golang, Rust, etc.
A popular front end development framework from Google, Flutter enables developers aesthetically appealing frontends for any screens. It is specially designed for streamlining cross platform app development along with maintaining an effective user experience.
By using a combination of DOM, Canvas, and CSS together, you can get a portable and high quality UI performance across all modern browsers.
1. Completely implement the core drawing layer in Dart.
3. To deploy it to a web server to make Flutter function for the web and the website both.
Dart is a client-optimised language to develop quick apps on any platform. With the goal to provide the most productive programming language for multi platform development, pairing it with a flexible execution runtime platform for app frameworks.
The “technical envelope” of any language refers to the developmental capacities and strengths of a language. As for Dart, this technical envelope is designed keeping in mind the client development, prioritising development and high quality production experiences across a wide variety of compilation targets like mobile, desktop and web.
The Dart language also forms the foundation of Flutter. The Flutter apps are powered by the language and runtimes provided by Dart. It also supports many aspects like formatting, analysing and testing code which are the core developers tasks.
Flutter is a fast growing app development platform of recent times. And Dart is the language used to write Flutter apps. With a spike in usage on Github, Dart is worth learning in 2022.
While Dart as a language has stability and is easy to learn, it does have certain disadvantages.
- As Dart language is fairly new, it does not have large developer communities. Due to this one cannot find solutions to problems easily. It has very limited resources online.
- It is difficult to find a job as a developer with Dart proficiency, because most of the companies don't use it in their working.
- Dart is still in the development stage and as you learn it you will find that it's API may change.
- The changes may also not be documented correctly and this will make it difficult to keep track.
- Dart does not have access to native support, and is not demonstrable to users on their browsers.
Google has been putting lots of resources into the development and growth of Flutter. Hence it is very sure that this SDK will gain momentum in the near future.
- Flutter is the only application framework that allows sharing same UI and business logic across all platforms.
- Flutters Hot Reload feature allows viewing the applied changes instantly, without losing the current application form. This makes the Flutter app development speed several times faster than the other app developers.
- Flutter is suitable for implementation of any 2D based UI, without interacting with a native application counterpart.
- Flutter application is built directly into the machine code. This eliminates any performance bugs coming up in the interpretation process.
- Flutter has got the ability to customise anything you see on the screen, regardless of its complexity.
- Flutter provides an easy-to-use procedure for the communication between platform native code and Dart through the platform channels. Thus with just a little effort on the native side, you can easily implement anything that a native app can do on the Flutter app as well.
With a lot of advantages over its competitors, these pros are inherent in the programming language. They are also inherent in the set of developmental tools that allow Flutter to solve those problems that can't be fixed by the other languages.
With the growing popularity of Flutter app development, and its wide usage for app creation by leading companies like Alibaba, Uber, eBay and others, Flutter is making a mark across the global tech industry.
On an endnote, Flutter is the proven quickest way to provide a well-performing cross-platform mobile application. Due to its dynamic nature, Flutter is assumed to become the official and ultimate cross-platform UI framework shortly.